Narrating the Closet: An Autoethnography of Same-Sex Attraction
2011, Left Coast Press/Routledge (Click here for a brief description of the book.)
- Received the 2016 “Innovator Award” from the Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Caucus of the Central States Communication Association, the 2012 “Best Book Award” from the Ethnography Division of the National Communication Association (NCA), the 2012 “Outstanding Authored Book Award” from the Organization for the Study of Communication, Language, and Gender, and the 2013 “Book of the Year” award from NCA’s GLBTQ Division and the Caucus on LGBTQ Concerns.
- Reviewed in Text and Performance Quarterly (2012), The Qualitative Report (2011, 2012), Sexuality & Culture (2011), Psychology & Sexuality (2012), CHOICE Magazine (2012). I also conducted interviews about the book with The Critical Lede (2011) and Low-Fat Love (2012).
Handbook of Autoethnography
2013, Left Coast Press/Routledge, co-edited with Stacy Holman Jones and Carolyn Ellis
- The first comprehensive reference volume on autoethnographic research and practice. The collection includes more than 40 essays written by scholars representing more than a dozen disciplines.
- Received the 2013 Best Edited Book Award from the Ethnography Division of the National Communication Association (NCA).
- Reviewed in Qualitative Research (2015) and Cadernos de Saúde Pública (2015).
- Chapter 9, “Spinning Autoethnographic Reflexivity, Cultural Critique, and Negotiating Selves,” by Keith Berry, received the 2014 The H.L. “Bud” Goodall, Jr. and Nick Trujillo “It’s a Way of Life” Award in Narrative Ethnography. Chapter 6, “Walk, Walking, Talking Home,” by Devika Chawla, received the 2014 Best Book Chapter Award from the Ethnography Division of the National Communication Association.
2015, Oxford University Press, co-authored with Stacy Holman Jones and Carolyn Ellis
- This book provides a historical and conceptual overview of autoethnography, outlines the purposes and practices of the method, offers strategies for writing autoethnography, and provides criteria for assessing autoethnographic research.
- Reviewed in The Qualitative Report (2015).
On Writing Families: Autoethnographies of Presence and Absence, Love and Loss
2014, Sense Publishers, co-edited with Jonathan Wyatt
- This collection of personal narratives considers how children relate to their parents, how parents relate to their children, and how familial relationships in general are made and (not) maintained. Contributors write about issues of interpersonal distance and closeness, gratitude and disdain, courage and fear, openness and secrecy, accountability and forgiveness, life and death. (Click here to to view the Table of Contents, Introduction, Chapter 1, and Chapter 2.)
- Reviewed in The Qualitative Report (2015) and Counseling and Psychotherapy Research (2016).
2017, Sense Publishers, co-edited with Sandra L. Pensoneau-Conway and Derek M. Bolen
- This collection represents outstanding work from the five Doing Autoethnography conferences (2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016). Contributors interrogate autoethnography ethically, theoretically, relationally, and methodologically, as well as address many interrelated themes: identity norms and negotiations; experiences tied to race, gender, sexuality, size, citizenship, and dis/ability; exclusion and belonging; oppression, injustice, and assault; barriers to learning/education; and living with/in complicated relationships.
Connecting the Personal and the Popular: Autoethnography and Popular Culture
2015, The Popular Culture Studies Journal, co-edited with Jimmie Manning
Special issue on using autoethnography in popular culture research.
- Received the 2016 “Best Special Issue” award from the Ethnography Division of the National Communication Association.
On Studying Ourselves and Others
2013, Liminalities: A Journal of Performance Studies, Co-edited with Stacy Holman Jones
Special issue on communication, ethnography, and identity.
- Received the 2013 “Best Special Issue” award from the Ethnography Division of the National Communication Association.
On (Writing) Fathers
2012, Qualitative Inquiry, co-edited with Jonathan Wyatt
Special issue on sons, fathers, and life writing.
Selected BOOK CHAPTERS and JOURNAL ARTICLES*
2017, International Review of Qualitative Research
Sexuality and Self-forgiveness
2016, Women & Language
in press, The Oxford Handbook of Methods for Public Scholarship, co-authored with Robin M. Boylorn
The Art of Autoethnography
2017, Handbook of Arts-Based Research, co-authored with Stacy Holman Jones
2017, The Routledge International Handbook on Narrative and Life History, co-authored with Derek M. Bolen
Queering Popular Culture
2016, Communication Perspectives on Popular Culture
Queer and Quare Autoethnography
2016, Qualitative Inquiry Through a Critical Lens, co-authored with Robin M. Boylorn
Watching Reality Television
2016, Popular Culture as Everyday Life
2016, Journal of Family Communication, co-authored with Keith Berry
Autoethnography and Family Research
2015, Journal of Family Review & Theory, co-authored with Jimmie Manning
- Received the 2016 Anselm Strauss Award for Qualitative Family Research [Honorable Mention] from Qualitative Family Research Network
Popular Culture Studies and Autoethnography: An Essay on Method
2015, The Popular Culture Studies Journal, co-authored with Jimmie Manning
- Received the 2015 “Best Journal Article Award” award from the Midwest Popular Culture Association.
Notes on Andy Cohen
2015, The Fantasy of Reality: Critical Essays on The Real Housewives, co-authored with Keith Berry
Undoing the Alphabet: A Queer Fugue on Grief and Forgiveness
2014, Cultural Studies <=> Critical Methodologies, co-authored with Stacy Holman Jones
Post-coming Out Complications
2014, Critical Autoethnography: Intersecting Cultural Identities in Everyday Life
The Purposes, Practices, and Principles of Autoethnographic Research
2014, The Oxford Handbook of Qualitative Research Methods, co-authored with Carolyn Ellis
A Complicated Reef: The Relationship Between a Representation and the Represented Phenomenon
2013, Environmental Communication
Animals as Media: Speaking Through/With Nonhuman Beings
2013, Perspectives on Human-Animal Communication: Internatural Communication
The Joys of Autoethnography: Possibilities for Communication Research
2012, Qualitative Communication Research
Missing Each Other
2012, Qualitative Inquiry
Telling Stories: Reflexivity, Queer Theory, and Autoethnography
2011, Cultural Studies <=> Critical Methodologies, co-authored with Stacy Holman Jones
Why “Video Killed the Radio Star”: Teaching “The Medium is the Message”
2010, Communication Teacher
Paradoxes of Sexuality, Gay Identity, and Coming Out
2010, Symbolic Interaction
Coming Out in Everyday Interaction
2010, Case Studies of Communication about Sex, co-authored with J. Wight
Autoethnography and Queer Theory: Making Possibilities
2010, Qualitative Inquiry & Human Rights, co-authored with Stacy Holman Jones
- Received the 2010 “Best Book Chapter Award” award from the Ethnography Division of the National Communication Association.
Mothers, Faggots, and Witnessing (Un)Contestable Experience
2009, Cultural Studies <=> Critical Methodologies
2009, Qualitative Inquiry, co-authored with Jillian Tullis, Chris McRae, and Alisha Vitale
A Review of Narrative Ethics
2008, Qualitative Inquiry
Autoethnography is Queer
2008, Handbook of Critical and Indigenous Methodologies, co-authored with Stacy Holman Jones
Seeking Father: Relationally Reframing a Troubled Love Story
2006, Qualitative Inquiry
Speaking for Others: Finding the “Whos” of Discourse
Phenomenologically Investigating Mediated Nature
2005, The Qualitative Report
in press, International Encyclopedia of Communication Research Methods, co-authored with Carolyn Ellis and Stacy Holman Jones
in press, International Encyclopedia of Communication Research Methods, co-authored with Stacy Holman Jones
in press, International Encyclopedia of Communication Research Methods, co-authored with Derek M. Bolen
GLBT Communication Studies
in press, The SAGE Encyclopedia of Communication Research Methods
in press, The SAGE Encyclopedia of Communication Research Methods, co-authored with Michael Kramer
2016, The SAGE Encyclopedia of LGBTQ Studies
2016, The SAGE Encyclopedia of LGBTQ Studies, co-authored with Stacy Holman Jones
2014, Encyclopedia of Social Media and Politics, co-authored with Rafal Rybak
2014, Encyclopedia of Social Media and Politics, co-authored with Brad Gangnon
2013, Multicultural America, co-authored with Max Plumpton
Sexual Orientation and Race
2011, The Multimedia Encyclopedia of Women in Today’s World, co-authored with Gerardo Moreno
A Social Constructivist Approach to Political Identity
2010, Encyclopedia of Identity
2010, Encyclopedia of Identity
Review of Beyond New Media: Discourse and Critique in a Polymediated Age
2016, Iowa Journal of Communication
Review of Transgender Communication Studies: Histories, Trends, and Trajectories
2016, Women’s Studies in Communication
Review of Staring at the Park: A Poetic Autoethnographic Inquiry
2015, Forum: Qualitative Social Research
Review of Home, Uprooted: Oral Histories of India’s Partition
2015, Text and Performance Quarterly
Review of From Humanity to Disgust: Sexual Orientation and the Law
2011, Sexuality and Culture
Making Democracy Personal
Review of A Need to Know: The Clandestine History of a CIA Family
2007, The Review of Communication
Hidden Dimensions of the Hidden Dimension
Review of Where the Ball Drops: Days and Nights in Times Square
2006, The Review of Communication
Review of Collective Behavior and Public Opinion
2003, American Communication Journal
* Please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like a copy of any of these articles, book chapters, encyclopedia entries, and/or book reviews.